The group was inaugurated by the president federal republic of Nigeria, ably represented by the permanent secretary FMOH. The vice president also sent a representative to demonstrate his support for the group. One of the highlights of the event is the election of Professor Sunday A. Bwala, a chief consultant neurologist at the national hospital Abuja as the chair of the group while Rita Melifonwu as secretary to be assisted by Florence Mborgu .
Stroke has been described as a sudden loss of power in half of the body lasting more than 24 hours; loss of speech spacial awareness. It is always equated to heart attack as it is brain attack.
THE NEED FOR URGENT ACTION AGAINST STROKE:
SOME HARD FACTS
- It is tagged “666”
- 1.6 worldwide will have a stroke in their life time.
- Every 6 seconds someone somewhere dies of stroke.
- 6 million people die every year from stroke.
In another study it is said that;
- Globally stroke is the second leading cause of death and a major cause of disability.
- There has been an epidemiologic transmission of stroke from high income to low income countries which has sustained high morbidity and mortality.
- Persistence of social ignorance and therapeutic nihilism.
- Modification of risk factors is central to control of the disease.
- Advances in neuro imaging have focused on tissues damaging in TIA’s and stroke enabling early diagnosis and treatment.
- Stem cell technology and nano medicine hold promise in restoring brain function after stroke.
SOME RISK FACTORS
- Cigarette smoking.
- Heart disease [AF/VALVES/IHD]
- Carotid arteries.
- Sickle cell disease.
- Hormone therapy.
- Poor diet/ obesity/body fat distribution.
- Physical inactivity.
LESS WELL DOCUMENTED
- Metabolic syndrome.
- Alcohol excess/drugs
- Oral contraceptives.
- Hyperhomocy steinaemia
- Hyper coagulation
TOR for NSRG
The major function of NSRG is to serve as a national advisory committee on stroke. Others include but not limited to, developing a national register/database on stroke, education and training for health professionals developing funding strategies.