Our vision is to take social work practice to the best attainable standard that will guarantee respect for social work profession in Nigeria and beyond.
Our mission is to work together to promote quality service to our client while making the work environment enjoyable to the professionals. We advocate for the improvement of social services in Nigeria.
We are guided by standard ethical behaviours that upholds the rights of all parties affected or involved in our intervention procedures to create the atmosphere of stress free quality service.
In stating our code of practice , it is important to note that social work as a profession is yet to be codified by an act of parliament in Nigeria. That notwithstanding, we as social workers in our quest to associate ensured that, the Nigeria Association of Social workers [NASOW] is properly registered as a corporate body with the Corporate Affairs Commission of Nigeria. Members who subscribed to our membership are subjected to abide by the code of ethics as embedded in our own constitution. The codes takes into cognisance the core values of social work which is; upholding and promoting the rights, dignity and worth of persons in all our professional endeavours. These code of ethics are in line with global best practice as outlined below.
Further explained in detail, a social worker must always;
ESTABLISH A RELATIONSHIP OF TRUST AND CONFIDENTIALITY WITH SERVICE USERS
- Honesty and integrity should be transparent in your dealing with service users and other team players.
- Treat any information confided in you by service users with all sense of responsibility.
- You must from the onset be clear about the strength and limitations of your intervention.
- Keeping to time and appointments should be held important and where there is and where there is unforeseen changes it should be communicated to the service user in a timely manner.
- You must not accept any form of gratification during your engagement with service users or even after termination of work relationship.
- All intervention procedures must be in line with approved policies governing such relationships.
PROMOTE THE RIGHT AND INTEREST OF SERVICE USERS
- Respect the dignity of persons.
- Uphold diversity of cultural beliefs an values
- Help service users to take informed decisions without imposing it.
- Uphold the individuality of a service user.
Ensure that the views of the service users others affected in an issue is factored into the treatment plans.
PROMOTE THE INDEPENDENCE OF SERVICE USERS AND AT THE SAME TIME TAKE STEPS TO PREVENT THEM FROM HARMING THEMSELVES
- Take health and safety measures especially when substance abuse is involved.
- Uphold the independence of service users and help them to understand the situations while exercising their rights.
- Always challenge and report abusive exploitative and dangerous behaviours to appropriate authorities.
- Notify authorities about operational difficulties.
- Notify your employers of any inappropriate behaviour of your colleagues that compromise standard of service or security of any person or teammate.
- Take proper steps to ensure personal protection while on duty.
Avoid the misuse of power that comes from your work relationship.
UPHOLD PUBLIC TRUST AND CONFIDENCE IN THE SOCIAL WELFARE SERVICE DELIVERY SYSTEM
At all times;
- Exploitation of concerned parties must be avoided
- Misuse of access to private information, property, home or workplace of clients should be avoided.
- Avoid , abuse, neglect and any other harmful action towards service users and colleagues
- Abstain from inappropriate relationships with service users
- Avoid unlawful and unjustifiable discrimination against service users
- Do not condone unjustifiable and unlawful discrimination by your colleague or service users
- Do not expose yourself or others to unnecessary risk
Do not conduct yourself whether on duty or not in such a manner that will bring social service into disrepute or question your integrity as a social worker.
AS YOU RESPECT THE RIGHTS OF YOUR CLIENT YOU MUST ALSO ENSURE THAT THEIR DECISIONS AND ACTIONS DO NOT HARM OTHER PEOPLE AND THEMSELVES
- Accepting their rights to take calculated risk must be in accordance with established policies and procedures.
- Recognise their right to take calculated risk and assist them to manage possible actual risk to themselves and others
- Ensure that concerned parties are involved and well informed about outcomes
- Take necessary steps to minimise possible adverse consequence
A SOCIAL WORKER MUST HOLD HIMSELF RESPONSIBLE FOR THE QUALITY OF SERVICE RENDERED
- Meeting the initial requirement for the job and constantly improve your knowledge and skill
- Always inform your employer about any impediments to your effective service delivery
- Endeavour to solicit assistance whenever you have limitations
- Maintain proper record
- Have a close and transparent working relationship with your colleagues
- Keep abreast of any delegated assignment
- Avail of constant mandatory training programme to update your knowledge while also helping to build the capacity of those your subordinates and team mates.
- Establish a healthy working relationship with multidisciplinary team players. Furthermore ,recognise the roles of other agencies and nurture a responsible collaborative working environment.